Santa Monica is a coastal city west of downtown Los Angeles. Santa Monica Beach is fringed by Palisades Park, with views over the Pacific Ocean. Santa Monica Pier is home to the Pacific Park amusement park, historic Looff Hippodrome Carousel and Santa Monica Pier Aquarium. Next to the pier is Muscle Beach, an outdoor gym established in the 1930s. In the city center, Bergamot Station houses several art galleries.
Located just west of Downtown Los Angeles, Santa Monica beach is an iconic example of the famed Southern California beaches. With few Los Angeles beach options offering both large expanses of beach, bike trails and nearby activities, Santa Monica Beach has exactly what you’re looking for.
Tourists and visitors come to the Santa Monica State Beach because it:
- is large, at 3.5 miles in length
- has a maintained, soft sandy beach
- is within walking distance to popular hotels, shops and restaurants
- offers a variety of activities and attractions
- is an iconic beach in Southern California